Friday 7 March 2014

Six Words Friday-Push and a Photo Heart Connection- February

My Internet has been awful this week and I've desperately been trying to post, however at the end of the day 'Push came to Shove' and I had to resort to posting two memes together. I really would have liked to give them both a posting each- but I decided that it might be Pushing it- but two had to become one.
Ok,Ok! I know I'm pushing the boundaries a bit with having the word push in so many sentences- But you see it was my word for 6 words Friday with Adrienne and I just couldn't resist!
Push
One Game. One ball. Two teams.
Fighting it out on the court
With a leap and a jump
and a bit of a push
The underdogs come out on top!

So, onto my Photo Heart connection ran by kateyestudio. Telling the story behind a photo that speaks to the heart.

I had a real struggle coming up with something and no matter how many photos I had taken nothing jumped out at me- but then this same photograph kept coming back to me-a tourist taking a photograph. I like the colours, I like the lines, but it's the content that drew me in.

Despite living here for 3 years, sometimes I too feel like a tourist- and yet at other times, you walk by and just take it all for granted. For now I'm lucky to live in a place that's worthy of tourist snaps- gorgeous seas and beaches, magnificent scenery and a city that thrives on diverse cultural differences- All are just crying out to be snapped.

So maybe that's what I need to do- become a tourist- take photographs of the views, the mundane and small details that make my life different. See my town as a visitor would see it and relish in its everyday happenings. One day it will be those little things that Ill want to remember- not the sweeping vistas and the postcard perfect images, but of the little day to day stuff, that makes Sabah what it really is.

Amanda xx

26 comments:

  1. Being a tourist in your hometown is the best. It opens your eyes to new things and helps you recommend places to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do think you're right. Showing friends around recently really made me look at the things that make this place what it is:)

      Delete
  2. That sounds like such a great vision for the months which you have left there (if I am understanding and remembering correctly?) ... A great contrast in the mood of both your photos but both redolent with atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you remember correctly, only a few more months left:( thanks for the nice comments:)

      Delete
  3. Hi Amanda! Hooray for the underdogs! Looking at your pix and reading your poem, Twyla Tharp's great modern dance piece "Push Comes to Shove" cam immediately to mind. Lots of pushing and shoving on the basketball court!

    If you don't mind my asking, how did you end up in Sabah?


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to say I stuck a pin in a map and let fate decide, but it was more mundane than that- an advert in the Times Ed teaching section! I'd been away teaching America and was on the hunt for another international job, when I spotted this one- i did have to look up Sabah though, just to see where it was!

      Delete
  4. I hope that you do find some time to take some everyday pictures to remember your time by as those can be the most interesting memories of all can't they. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your entry for push!

    I also love being a tourist in my own town...it helps me appreciate what is right here for me to enjoy every single day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that's a great idea to take photos of the things you will want to remember, great push photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I might get a few strange looks photographing our local bakery etc- but that's what I'm going to do:)

      Delete
  7. Such a creative post! And, I love, love your header. It entices me to walk to the end and just soak it all in.

    I'm a newcomer to Six Word Friday and am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to Grahamslanding and thanks for the nice comments:)

      Delete
  8. It's so true that we can take our own surroundings for granted. Sometimes when I'm stuck for a pic for my Photo A Day gallery on Pbase.com, I ask myself, what would a tourist take a pic of? Ok, maybe it means I end up with another sheep photo but it makes me look at things afresh.
    And I love your pic of the tourist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment- I know what you mean about the sheep- I'm from the lake district...need i say anymore:)

      Delete
  9. I love your six words. Those are great action photos. I can relate to living like a tourist. This is my adopted home and I've been here over seven years but I'm still finding new things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- and yes, definitely on the search for the little things that make kk.

      Delete
  10. I think when you look back at your blog in a few months time from the beautiful Lake District, you'll see that you have been doing exactly that - taking photos of the everyday things as well as the extraordinary. A few more photos can't hurt though and we'll all love to see them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the pictures and words especially the way you have captured the tourist. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your push post Amanda. I haven't managed to try the photo-heart connection yet. It's on the to-do list, but I need to organize my photos more regularly first. A someone who has moved around a bit for the last 20 years I find I often photograph like a tourist. When I gave up work last Spring I did the same for the town/village that has been "home" for over forty years, and it is amazing what new things you can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i know what you mean about organising photos- i really need to delete a lot of old ones- as every time i get a prompt i go out and take more- my laptop is full!!!

      Delete
  13. It is so true... it's the little details you will want to remember. The places you shopped, the things that are unique about this beautiful place you live. Thank you for sharing in the Photo-Heart Connection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely PHC and photographing the little things is what will make your memories of Sabah special. I found a picture of a bakery window displaying Cornish Pasties! But the memories that came flooding back were wonderful! I love your Push Picture and words.

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to make a comment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks :)