Monday 24 March 2014

Simply a Jungle Moment


The distant roar of the river had become a gentle background hum in my sleepy state, but now the flowing water rumbled and brought me to my senses- that and of course the incessant chatter of a bird waking up from its sleep too. Its high pitched call pierced the still early morning air with a shout that sounded like a whistle saying ‘twenty two, twenty two’, over and over again. Within seconds its call had a reply- this time ‘datdatdatdat’- a rapid fire of high pitched bird call- soon the whole jungle would be awake.

 The crisps morning air was cool around my shoulders and I hitched my down sleeping bag a little further up. It hadn't been like that through the night, evidence of my fretful broken night’s sleep lay about me, layers of clothes that had been shed when I had got too warm and my feet entangled with a sleeping bag liner and mosquito net.


It was still dark but the shapes of the trees towering above were beginning to make outlines against the early morning sky. It was just before six and a predawn blue light made silhouettes of the tree canopy. It had been so dark last night, totally pitch black,  that my eyes were adjusting slowly. I became to make out shapes.

The birds were joined by the other noises that we had become accustomed too- indistinguishable noises that make up the jungle symphony. A cacophony of sounds that were made by who knows- insect chatter, bird calls, frog bellows and the constant rumble of the river.

 The air remained still, for a breeze had yet to penetrate the dense forest. There was the constant drip of water, splashing down from tips of leaves onto the jungle floor. At least it was light rain now, the floor had been muddy enough without another deluge-But I suppose you don’t have rain forest without any rain! The leeches would love it- the damp will bring them out from their leafy hiding places, on the hunt for something warm, dry and tasty!

As long as it wasn't me!

(Joining in with Alexa for Simply a Moment. :) )

And now onto day 5 of my '30 Days of Spring'

Spring -  Day 5


Something bright amid the jungle greens :)

Amanda x

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks- It still doesn't do it justice though:)

      Delete
  2. I like the way that you write, it makes you feel as if you are really there. I also have to say "wow"! What an amazing place you live! I would love to visit a tropical place, the bugs freak me out a bit, but I would love to hear the noises that you do!
    I hope you're having a great week,
    Tammy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks- and yes I'm lucky to live in such a diverse place:)

      Delete
  3. I really wish I could write so descriptively. You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying that- I certainly don't see that- but thanks anyway:)

      Delete
  4. I agree with the other comments here - great writing and I liked the photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amanda, you have really lifted me right into another world for the last few minutes with such evocative writing! This really is a moment to treasure :). Hoping very much the leaches didn't find you! Thank-you so very much indeed for linking in, this month, and it has been a pleasure to be here. Now, I am just going to go back up to the too and read it all over again ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. No, I managed to survive without Leech bites- Had lots of them on me- but none took a hold- Lucky!

      Delete
  6. It sounded like you had a lovely trip into the jungle, how long were you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were only there for a couple of nights- This time without any students! We do run student trips out there, but this time it was more of a social event for the staff. It's a 3 hour drive and then about an hours trek to the camp. All good fun though:)

      Delete
  7. What an amazing experience. I was with you all the way until you got to the leeches - then I was grateful for my English bed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, no matter how many times I've been- (This was my 7th trip out )- It's still a buzz being in the middle of the rainforest:)

      Delete

If you'd like to make a comment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks :)