Saturday 7 December 2013

Saturday Snaps- A cold Snap

For my Saturday Snaps I thought I'd elaborate a little on the Ice storm pictures, as seen on today's Advent Calendar Picture  so you can see just what it was like- The storm came through on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and froze everything in its path. Trees were down, as were electrical cables, phone lines and roads were blocked.

It was amazing to see - but also very dangerous. Luckily we weren't really affected- we were staying a little further along the valley- so at least we had power for Christmas day- Many weren't so lucky and ended up spending Christmas in local schools and community centres.
Once the storm had passed, we ventured out to see what was going on.




Heavy rain had fallen and frozen on impact on anything it touched- roads were like skating rinks, cables and power lines were lying and just hanging- and tree branches were just snapped off with the weight of the ice.



 
But still - it was beautiful.
Until tomorrow
Amanda x
 
 

15 comments:

  1. KK probably never has sights like these. Ice storms paint such beauty, but they are deadly too! I hope that you are having a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it doesn't- Starting to feel Christmassy, despite it being hot and brilliant sunshine!

      Delete
  2. These photos are amazing, what an experience it must have been! The closest I've ever got to something like this is a bush that was splashed by a puddle in one of the really cold winters we've had recently - you can see that in the second half of this post - http://roachling.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/christmas-eve.html - but it's nowhere near as good as these ice storm photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that Puddle is just like a natural ice sculpture- amazing!- and such clear photos of the ice on the roads and fields.:)

      Delete
  3. I already left a comment on your advent post about this, but now I'm really chilly looking at these pictures! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a cold few days- but the sun still shone at times as well:)

      Delete
  4. Never had anything thing like that,here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I had experienced anything like it- I even had to look up this phenomena on google to see exactly how an ice storm occurred- But I think that was the teacher in me-needing to know everything!!

      Delete
  5. Where I'm from, this is a pretty common sight. I'm glad you were safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i wouldn't want to go through too many of these- lucky for me I won't have to!

      Delete
  6. These photos are amazing, as you say beautiful but scary to be in it and for some devastaing. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I've ever seen a real ice storm like that before - everything is just frozen in place. Incredible. Amazing to witness - from somewhere warm and dry. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the rain that had hit signposts were just a solid sheet- it was amazing to see

      Delete
  8. Looks amazing. Your description reminds me of the film Day after Tomorrow. I thought we'd had cold conditions here until I went to northern Finland one January and the breath froze in your nostrils - weird! x

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to make a comment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks :)