Friday 16 May 2014

Six Word Friday- Top!

For this week's Six word Friday, the word Adrienne at Memory Art was setting us was-  'Top' - a little stumped I started flicking through my recent images and found these ones- At the top of Angkor Wat!

At the top of Angkor Wat,
tourists looking like ants scurrying,
in and out of the ruins.
 The steep climb has to be done
to appreciate the size of it
 a vast, rambling, mass of stone.
 And as they wander aimlessly around
they try to get a feel
of what life was like then,
 When the stone walls were gilded,
When courtiers danced and sang
and highly decorated elephants solemnly marched.
 Once it was a temple of reverence,
A palace, city, way of life
now its just one more place
to tick off the bucket list!
Even so, I still loved it!

Amanda x

11 comments:

  1. Just lovely, have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that really is high up and very steep steps indeed!! Not for the faint of heart, but well worth it. So glad that you got to see this. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a great experience- photos don't really do it justice:)

      Delete
  3. Amanda, those photos certainly represent TOP well. Isn't it something, how a place so socially significant and spiritual to someone or to many in years past can become just another tourist attraction. If walls could talk, maybe they could tell of some of the splendor is still locked inside them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to be able to go back in time and see how it was if only for a moment or two- that really would be wonderful:)

      Delete
  4. I love visiting places like this and trying to imagine what it must have been like in its heyday. Glad I don't have to climb those stairs though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a bit steep- but worth the climb up:)

      Delete
  5. gosh, I feel dizzy just looking at that first image. It must have been splendid in it's day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite steep up there- I'm glad I'm not scared of heights!

      Delete
  6. That top one is just perfect for your theme ... I don't have a head for heights so I admire your ability to take photos like this!

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to make a comment I'd love to hear from you. Thanks :)